This caregiver burnout assessment is designed to give you an idea of the areas of stress in your life. These stressors are in addition to your typical caregiving duties, so they are only hurting you…not helping you.
Take a moment and do the assessment. Add up the points as you go through this and then take a look at where you rate on the scale at bottom.
If you rate highly for caregiver burnout, then maybe you should seek out some help. I have six 6 tips on how to beat caregiver stress that you can access by clicking here.
Video Overview of Caregiver Burnout
Caregiver Burnout Assessment
- Do you drive in heavy traffic to work? Score 1 point.
- Do you often feel drained of energy? Score 1 point.
- Do you regularly eat breakfast? Deduct 1 point.
- Do you feel yourself irritated by small things? Score 2 points.
- Do you find yourself growing more critical of your job? Score 2 points.
- Have you read a good book in the last few weeks? Deduct 1 point.
- Do you feel yourself without the time to plan as you should? Score 1 point.
- Do you have a pet? Deduct 1 point.
- Do you find yourself thinking there is more work to do than you practically have the time to do? Score 2 points.
- Do you feel organizational politics and “new directives” are getting ni the way of doing a great job? Score 2 points.
- Are you a daily outdoor walker? Deduct 1 point.
- Do you feel under an unpleasant level of pressure to succeed? Score 2 points.
- Do you have a newborn, 2-year old, teenager or dementia patient in your house? Score 2 points.
- Have your employer recently reorganized or restructured? Score 2 points.
- Have you argued with someone in the last day or two. Score 1 point.
- Is your new “boss” wanting to “fix” things? Score 2 points.
- Do you sleep 6-8 hours each night? Deduct 1 point.
- Do you listen to music? Deduct 1 point.
- Do you feel unappreciated? Score 1 point.
- Do you feel that you are not getting what you want out of your job? Score 2 points.
- Burnout (18-24 points)
- Irritable/Unhappy (11-17 points)
- Worried/Tense (4-10 points)
- Mellow (1-3 points)
What To Do About Results
If you are suffering from caregiver burnout, then the single most important thing for you to do is to seek out respite care. How do you do this? I have the answers right here.