Yeah, sounds like a weird concept. But I have to say it is one of the most unique ideas I have encountered since I have begun to write about Aging-In-Place issues.
But while my description may not be completely appropriate, the Adult Day Care Program at the Nassau Extended Care Facility is just that.
It offers every medical and assistive need that a nursing home provides, but in a day care-type setting where the residents return home at the end of the day.
It was a concept I wasn’t familiar with. I have previously written about adult day care, and in all other instances (here I am speaking of government facilities) they provide a safe environment for the senior but the services provided could be limit the participation of those suffering from Alzheimer’s, incontinence or aspiration issues.
This facility is different.
It provides all of the nursing services that you would find in a nursing home but in an environment where the resident does return home at the end of the day.
It has several advantages over a traditional nursing home setting…
1) The senior remains closer to their family, as long as the family is able to properly care for them at nights and on weekends
2) It is significantly cheaper (a important factor for those in a private pay or long term care insurance situation)
3) The increase in care accommodates those who would not physically qualifying for the standard adult day care center
Medicaid pays 100% for the program!!!
Door-to-door transportation is provided. For many other adult day care programs the transportation is “curb-to-curb”, meaning that there is no assistance provided to get in and out of the van. This is a huge advantage for those who are dealing with mobility issues.
All 6 Activities for Daily Living are provided for, including bathing, so caregivers don’t need to come home from work and have to worry about this.
All services, such as O/T, P/T and speech are provided for.
Participants to the program are provided with breakfast and lunch, plus get a take home dinner as part of the program.
Dental, podiatry and optometry care is provided as part of the program.
Other services offered include…
- Care management by RN’s
- Medication management onsite
- Wound care
- Recreational activities
- Social workers assist in benefit counseling
- Offsite recreational trips are provided
- Onsite medical work includes X-Rays, Blood work, EKG, Sonograms, etc…
I would like to thank Lisa Simon and Linda Gillan for their assistance plus taking the time out of their schedules to give me a tour of their facility. If you should have any further questions please contact them at Nassauecf.com/contact.